Monday, April 12, 2010

36 weeks and the Pelvis

On the surface, Kris and I seem as though we're super prepared for the arrival of Tickey. The nursery is looking AMAZING, we set up the baby swing in the living room this weekend, we've got the baby essentials, etc., etc. Yet for some reason when the midwife told me today that Tickey's head has started to come down into my pelvis, I immediately thought of 46548 things that we still need to do. When she told me that we should make sure that all our supplies for the home birth are ready "just in case," I thought of another 5483 things. For example, I haven't pre-washed a single baby clothing item. We don't have the emergency phone numbers posted by our phone. I haven't even finished writing my thank you cards for the shower I had weeks ago. I should probably get a haircut..... These are just a sample of the thoughts that raced through my mind in one short second when the words "baby" and "pelvis" were mentioned in the same sentence.

Today the midwife made a home visit to make sure that we are all set up for the homebirth (we're not). Of course I thought the appointment was tomorrow and was planning to spend this evening putting together everything we need. Twenty minutes before work this morning I noticed on the calendar that the appointment was actually TODAY. This sent me directly in a mad cleaning spur before leaving for work and then I spent the better part of the day trying to thinking of creative excuses for why I didn't have all the supplies together (I ended up telling the pathetic truth). The appointment went fine (although I could sense her disappointment in my inability to get my act together). Tickey is strong and making his or her way downwards towards his or her great debut. I continue to measure a week ahead, meaning Tickey could be here before his or her scheduled May 9th appearance.

In the meantime, I grow more and more uncomfortable every day. I have a pain in my back that stretches all the way down my left side and into my leg which makes even the slightest movement hurt. I scheduled an appointment with a chiropractor for Wednesday to make sure there aren't any major issues and to see if he might be able to do something to help out. Mentally, I feel good. My work replacement started last week and while it is a bit stressful and time consuming to try to train someone and still get your job done, I know that this process means I'm closer to being finished work and onto maternity leave. My last day is April 30th and so I hope that Tickey will give me at least a few days to relax at home and change my mindset from work to focusing on my new family.

No comments:

Post a Comment